“Either define the moment or the moment will define you.” -Walt Whitman
“There are moments which mark your life. Moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same and time is divided into two parts, before this and after this.” -Unknown
“Don’t make the mistake of believing that your future hangs on one big defining moment. Every moment is defining you, whether you realize it or not.” -Kerri Weeks
We’ve all had those moments that could change everything. Whether it’s a big decision, like where to go to college (Simpson College is pretty great for anyone in that situation), or a small one, like whether to eat the cookie or the apple. Each of our lives are made up of moments that end up defining who we are and what we do.
These moments may be a bit daunting, but they fascinate me. I’m the type of person who likes to lay down and look at all the decisions I made in a day and play out the situation if I would have decided differently. Just think, what if I would have decided to be an exercise science major? I wouldn’t be writing a blog post right now, that’s for sure.
Or what if I would have decided NOT to try on my ACT tests? I wouldn’t have gotten a score worthy of Simpson standards and I wouldn’t be where I am today.
Or, what if once I got to Simpson, I decided to stay in my room all day working on homework – not getting out into the campus community where I would eventually meet some of my best friends.
While we’re on the topic of me, the author of this blog, here are some more fun facts about me before I begin sharing my life with you.
- I’m a second year student at Simpson College, pursuing a major in multimedia journalism and a minor in coaching.
- I’m the oldest of 15 grandchildren. We all live within a two mile radius of each other. It’s constant chaos, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
- I have one horse of my own. His name is Trouble (and no, I didn’t choose his name).
- Vanilla Diet Coke and peanut butter M&Ms are my weaknesses.
- I love to laugh and end up laughing so hard I begin to cry at least once a week.
- I am the Vice President of Communications for the Iowa Beta Chapter of Pi Beta Phi.
- I love to sing and am currently the worship leader for Indianola Light Company.
- The inspiration for this blog actually came from a message taught by Geoff Safford during a Light Company meeting about a year ago (S/O to you!).
It’s crazy to think about all the small decisions we make that end up impacting our lives. Just one small change could have impacted one of the things I just told you about me. Like, what if I hadn’t decided to go to Light Company that night? I wouldn’t have heard Geoff’s message and I would still be deciding what my blog post would be about.
They don’t have to be monumental. They don’t have to be life-changing. But, I hope that the light I intend to bring to both the small and the big decisions will open the eyes of my readers to see that your life is what you make it.
So drink your water, eat the apple, and choose Simpson College. You never know how one decision will impact your life forever.